From ASR Executive Officer Rachel Kraus
January 15, 2024
Happy New Year! The ASR wishes you and yours a very happy and healthy 2024. I am writing with important information about our conference, submissions, and grants/awards.
- We are now accepting paper abstracts, mini workshops, and complete session proposals for our 2024 conference in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. For any questions, contact the Program Chair, Aida Ramos, at ARamos@jbu.edu. You can learn more about the conference by visiting the annual meeting page on the ASR website. You can make your room reservations here.
- We are also accepting submissions for our various grants, papers, and award competitions. You can learn more about these competitions on the ASR website and apply for the competitions by logging into your ASR account.
- If you experience any trouble with your account or have questions, please email me for assistance. We continue to make upgrades to our website and membership system. We appreciate your patience.
If your ASR membership isn’t current, I invite you to join the ASR or renew your ASR membership. Our system is set up to send automatic reminders when your membership is about to expire, but sometimes those automated emails end up in junk or spam folders. Please be sure the ASR is on your safe sender list to keep up-to-date with our emails and newsletters. If you aren’t sure when your ASR membership expires, you can log into the ASR website and the member portal will list your membership expiration date. You are also welcome to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will be happy to check your membership status.
Simply click on the “Renew Membership” button below, log into the ASR Member Portal using your email address and password (if you would like a password reminder, click the “lost your password” link below the login boxes), click on the “Renew Your Membership” icon, select your membership category, and submit your payment. You have the option to renew your membership for one, two, or three years (available for professional members), which offers some savings over consecutive one year memberships.
As a reminder, your ASR membership offers many benefits, including:
- Belonging to a community of scholars who support the ASR’s mission to advance theory, research, and the education of the sociology of religion.
- Annual subscription to the ASR’s journal Sociology of Religion and a fee waiver if you submit your scholarly manuscripts for publication consideration in the journal.
- Participation in the annual meeting with hundreds of colleagues (graduate students, faculty, and religious professionals) from around the globe. ASR members pay smaller conference registration fees than ASR non-members.
- Eligibility for the Association’s grants and awards competitions.
- Eligibility for International Travel and Student Travel awards to participate in the annual meeting.
- Frequent updates and news about research and teaching positions, fellowships, grant opportunities, and upcoming conferences.
- Access to our online Member Portal, which allows you to easily renew your membership, register for the annual meeting, submit an abstract, vote in ASR elections, and access the ASR’s journal Sociology of Religion online.
- A 75% discount on volumes of ASR’s Religion and the Social Order book series, published by Brill.
- A 20% discount on books published by Oxford University Press through the Member Portal.
ASR has a very bright future, and I invite you to be a part of it. The ASR is in solid financial standing, and our journal continues to to be ranked among the top journals in our area.
Sociology of Religion 84:4
View Current Issue
2023 ASR PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS
- Sensitizing Blinders: Theorizing Theory in a Post-Colonial Era
- The Religious Imaginary and the Repressive State: Science-based Beliefs of Ukrainian and Lithuanian Scientists Born in the USSR
- “The Tables are Turning”: The Evangelical Defense of Anti-LGBTQ+ Religious Liberty
AMY MCDOWELL AND PACE T. WARD
- What Makes Life Meaningful? Combinations of Meaningful Commitments Among Nonreligious and Religious Americans
PENNY EDGELL, MAHALA MILLER, AND JACQUI FROST
Remember to Check Out the Book Reviews!
LISTEN TO SOCIOLOGY OF RELIGION PODCASTS
Opting Out of the Print Version of Our Journal
ARE YOU COMFORTABLE READING OUR JOURNAL ONLINE? CONSIDER THIS OPTION
ASR provides our members with the ability to opt out of receiving the print version of our journal, which you may do via the Member Portal on the website. Accessing the journal online helps to direct our Association resources toward other needs. If you no longer wish to receive a printed copy of the journal, simply indicate this preference at the time you renew your membership or update your profile.
Please feel free to email me at any time with questions, comments, or concerns.
Rachel Kraus, PhD, MPA
Professor of Sociology, Ball State University
Executive Officer, Association for the Sociology of Religion